Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Do good

We were stunned to hear about the shootings at Virginia Tech this week. Still can't wrap our heads around that one to be honest. So much violence, and terror and sadness, and for what? Our thoughts go out to the friends and families that are suffering through this terrible time.

A little closer to home, I am also saddened by the news of a 13-year old boy who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. I know his mother Jen, through scrapbooking and the message board at Two Peas in a Bucket. She has been incredibly strong and graceful throughout all this, and I wish I could reach through the screen to give her, and Joey, a great big hug. Another fellow scrapper, Tania, has done an incredible thing and has started a benefit for the family. So far over $5000 has been raised to help the Gallacher family, and hundreds have stepped forward to donate prizes for the draw that will be held. Every dollar you donate earns you one entry into the big draw for prizes.

This sad news reminds me that just under a year ago, an old friend buried her 13-year old son . It's been said before, but I'll say it again, mothers shouldn't have to bury their children. We should all do whatever we can do prevent this, in any little way. Another amazingly talented, and wonderful scrapper, my friend Sarah, is organizing a series of crops across Canada to benefit the Childrens' Hospitals there. I love this hobby, how it brings connections, and how it gives us a chance to do good.

1 comment:

Joyous said...

Fran, I drew your number for my blog giveaway! Email me your address! joylynn@gmail.com