Thursday, May 04, 2006

The circle of life

Today, one of my closest friends from University will bury her teenaged son Ricky, who passed away after a long battle with a very rare form of cancer. It's the times like these that I want to pack up all my belongings and move back home. Not being a mother myself, I can only imagine the pain she is going through now, and I bet I should mulitply what I am imagining one hundred-fold.

I haven't seen either Ricky or his mum Juliet in over 10 years and so my memory of him is that of a happy, bright and extremely smart three year old boy. I know from my e-mail communication with Juliet over the years, that he had grown into a wonderful teenager of whom she was very proud.

Thanks to the wonders of modern technology I was able to arrange to have a wreath delivered for the services. It doesn't seem like enough, but I hope that it helps her realise that I and my family are with her in spirit. So I'll ask all you mothers to hold on tight to your babies, of whatever age, and to say a prayer for my friend Juliet for the strength she will need in the coming months.

On the same day that I learnt of his passing, I also got the news that another of our friends just had her first son. I am so happy for her and her family! It has been a week of roller coaster emotions. I alternate between joy for one friend and sadness for the other. Thus is the circle of life.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry for your friends loss. Even being a mother I can't imagine the pain... I will say a prayer for them...

Anonymous said...

Oh, so sorry for your friends loss. Will keep them in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's funny how life works....one door closes and another one opens.

Sending you hugs...
Peg

Vernell said...

Yes the cirlce of life - unfortunately with joy also comes sorrow! Juliet and her family are in my thoughts and prays.

Wendy said...

Fran, so sorry for your friend's loss of her son. My father passed away from cancer this past December. It was very painful to see him suffer in the end but it was bittersweet to say goodbye to him knowing that he was no longer in pain and suffering. My thoughts and prayers are definitely with you and your friend's family. Circumstances in life, such as this, definitely wakes you up to appreciate each precious moment with family & friends.

Anonymous said...

Very special prayers for your friend. Just heartbreaking.