- Get used to everything taking 10 times as long and being 10 times as complicated to complete
- Food is king. Don't try to understand it, just go with the flow
- Remember to plan your shopping around stores being closed on Sundays and sometimes Mondays and during lunch time (see above: food is king).
- Most French people are very patient with foreigners while you slaughter their language. They love that you are trying!
- Everything is different. Not just the obvious things you expect, but things you never think about like the configuration of a keyboard, or the way you write a check
- The amusing use of English words in the everyday language but with a twist: "un parking" for parking lot or "un camping" for campsite
- Figuring out who to greet with a kiss and who not to is a cultural faux pas waiting to happen!
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Seven random observations about living in France
My friend Paula tagged me last week with the 7 Random Things about you tag, and since I have done it before I decided to change it up a bit.