Monday, September 04, 2006

If you go down to the woods today

you're in for a big surprise! No it wasn't the Teddy Bears Picnic (although I was singing that all the time we were there and driving Lucas crazy), just Lucas and I and our friend "the mushroom expert" Pascal, crawling though the trees looking for mushrooms. That was so cool that I didn't even mind waking up early (have I mentioned that I'm not a morning person?). We headed out around 8:30 (after having coffee and crossaints of course), but we had to wake up around 7:00 - yes, for me that's early ok? Especially on a Saturday morning.

We spent a total of about three and a half hours there and came back with about 30 lbs of mushrooms. Needless to say, mushrooms cooked in all manner of ways will be on the menu for the next couple of weeks. Lunch on Saturday was mushroom omelette made with fresh eggs from Pascal's farm; Lunch on Sunday was fried potatoes from Pascal's garden and a mushroom fricasse. Dinner tonight is going to be mushroom pie. I never even liked mushrooms when I was growing up so this is pretty amazing. We're also going to dry some of them so that we will still be eating mushroooms during the winter.

My favourite part of the day was when I discovered a patch with lots of them and we all went crazy filling our bags. My least favourite part was coming across a baby viper on the way back to the car. It's a good thing we saw him after we were done!

Once was enough for me, but Lucas went back on Sunday morning, and brought back even more. I think I have an idea what we will be giving to any friends who happen to pass by this week.

I have tons of photos but blogger is being a pain so you can see them here

2 comments:

Maggie Lamarre said...

OOOH I luv mushrooms, in everything. I'm so glad you are not hurt from the snake. If there's 1 animal on earth I can't stand it's snakes.
I'm glad you had fun.
I made an announcement on my blog today.
Have a great week,
Maggie

Anonymous said...

wow!!! that's some mushroom!!!