Sunday, December 18, 2005

Warm and Toasty

Ahhhhhhhhh, what could be better than being in your warm toasty apartment, covered up on the couch with a furry kitty snuggling near by, a hot cup of verveine-menthe herb tea , internet access, a Christmas Tree twinkling in front of you and your hubby in the kitchen making a special surprise treat? Life is good.

The only thing missing from this scenario is maybe some Christmas music. But I won't complain since we had an impromptu carolling session with my in-laws earlier today. We passed by their place around lunch time, for an aperitif, and to collect a couple items to take on the trip with us. While we were sitting there drinking Jurançon and chatting, I asked what were the typical French Christmas songs, apart from the only two I had heard before, because it seemed like there weren't very many. Hubby and his Mum started singing a couple, but then faltered a bit.

Being my in-laws they of course had books 1 2 and 3 of Livre de Chansons Francaises, which they brought out and quickly found many more. Thus restoring my faith in French Christmases. What was wonderful was that quite a few of them are French versions of the very same songs that I love. O Holy Night, In Excelcis Deo, Joy to the World, O Christmas Tree. We had a blast singing them all. I'd sing the English version while they were singing the French.

That visit totally cheered me up because I was feeling pretty crummy with this cold that is still lingering on. After we left, Lucas and I decided to go shopping for some of the goodies that we will be bringing as gifts for my family. I never knew that the cost of chocolate could add up like that. Oh well, it's Christmas!


"Everyday holds the possibility of a miracle."
Elizabeth David

1 comment:

Jennifer Stewart said...

I LOVE the caroling idea. How fun to sing in French and in English. Your evening sounds perfect :)

Jennifer