Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Cure

It turns out that the cure for what ails me (a combination of PMS, winter blues, and aches and pains due to a bad mattress) was an afternoon at Bernachon, a local Patissier/Chocolatier that is world renown. As Lucy explained to me, they are one of the 12 establishments in Europe which roast and grind their cocoa beans themselves. Their policy is that none of their products are sold off-site, so the Lyon location is the only one in existence. You can however order by mail.


As I watched the waiter pour the thick creamy hot chocolate into my cup I could already feel my spirits lifting. One sip and I could feel the fog surrounding my brain start to dissipate. With the smell of chocolate in the air I couldn't help but choose three chocolate pastries from the platter to make up my Assiette de quatre Petits-Fours . I selected a raspberry tart as the fourth, so as to not look like a total glutton.

If ever there were a chocolate nirvana, this was it. Amid the delicacies and good conversation I felt the worries of the world subside, I could see more clearly, ideas were flowing, suddenly there was hope. Maybe Spring wasn't so far off after all. Maybe the sun will shine every day from now on. And even if it doesn't, I have this warm chocolate memory to comfort me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sigh* I love a transcendent chocolate experience -- thanks for sharing!

K.

L Vanel said...

Francine dear, I had a feeling you were in need of that particular cure. I know of other tea houses that also feature superlative hot cocoa in town so as we reach those milestones we'll hit them. You fail to mention that you snagged all of the chocolate pastries before I could capture the waiter's attention and that I blew on my rejected pastry with sugar smeared on its crust and he still took it back. Good boy. So as not to look like a glutton... Ha! Sincerely yours, L (I'll post tomorrow about our outing today)

Anonymous said...

I followed Lucy's story to find your blog and story. This seems to have been the perfect afternoon.

Vernell said...

Sounds like a little piece of heaven on earth. *sigh* I too cannot wait for Spring. I want to get out and about but this cold and grey just saps my desire to go anywhere LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Just looking at that cup of chocolate lifts my spirits halfway around the world! Oh chocolate in Paris...thanks for the smile!

Mandy Ford Art & Illustration said...

Oh my goodness...that just looks so divine! Can I come for a visit?! ;)