Thursday, April 13, 2006

Of bunnies and bells

We all know that it's the Easter Bunny that brings us our delicious chocolate eggs every Easter right? Well not if you live in France he doesn't! Over here kids look excitedly for thier Easter eggs which are left courtesy of bells.

During Lent church bells are not rung (and now that i think about it, it's true that I haven't heard the hourly chimes of the church bells in my town lately). They are rung again on Easter Sunday to symbolise Christ rising from the dead. As the story is told to French children, the bells go to Rome during Lent, and when they return on Easter Sunday they bring the Easter Eggs with them.

When I learned this I thought it was quite odd. Bells bringing eggs? What next? But really, how more odd is it than a bunny bringing eggs? Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

9 comments:

Lu said...

what an interesting story and tradition.

corinne5 said...

lol bells or bunny's I just care about the chocolate!

corinnexxx

corinne5 said...

me again.............you need to change the link to my blog, LOLOLOLOL

corinnexxx

Anonymous said...

That is so neat!

Gwyn Calvetti said...

I love hearing about the different customs. Australia doesn't have bunnies, they have biblies (a little animal native to the country), for instance. Thanks for sharing this one!

Chit Chat With Divagirlrn said...

This is so interesting. I love to learn about new customs. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

How interesing. You sure are right...the things that make you go ..hmmmmmmm?

Tiare.

Anonymous said...

Love hearing about traditions and customs from others around the world...thanks for sharing! Have A Blessed Easter! :-)

Vernell said...

LOL - that gave me a laugh as corinnexxx said just hand over the chocolate and no bunnies or bells will get hurt LOL