Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Barbados

We had even less time in Barbados, just 5 days and they were jampacked! First we prepared for Old Year's Night (New Year's Eve). We invited my friend Marcie and her husband over for dinner. Marcie is Barbadian but lives in Austria with her husband and three kids. We never see each other in Europe, so it was good that we were in Barbados at the same time. Lucas prepared a Salmon, apple and raisin pie, and an onion pie. Later on we picked up the kids and went down to the beach to watch the fireworks at midnight. I can't think of a better way to ring in the new year!

The rest of our trip was dedicated to as much beach as possible, but also visiting with another close friend Melanie, my best friend from secondary (high) school. Lucas and I also went snorkeling, spent a lovely afternoon at the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary learning about local and regional flora and fauna, and went out for a romantic dinner for two.

The highlight of the trip, especially for Lucas was our Discovery Scuba Diving Course! His brother and friends arranged it for him as his surprise birthday gift. He had no idea what awaited him, and I had the best time teasing him on the entire trip. We learnt basic scuba diving skills in the pool then went diving over three ship wrecks at Carlisle Bay Marine Park. I am actually a certified scuba diver, but haven't done any diving since I left Barbados in 1996. Our dive instructor, Andre, just happened to be a friend of mine that I went diving with all those years ago. We had an awesome time, seeing all the different types of fish and coral, and also feeding the fish. Now Lucas wants to get certified! We had an underwater camera but haven't gotten the film developed yet, so I will post photos of that day later on.

And speaking of photos, I still can't upload (don't know what is going on with Blogger) so here is a link to the photos from Barbados

3 comments:

Jade said...

Glad to see you enjoyed your vacation. I feel as though I need to go back to have my vacation because I missed out on all the fun of visiting for the holidays.

But I don't think I will (I have a flight booked though).

Jade said...

Just looked at your photos - now I know you're a real tourist, girl. More scenery than people.

Anonymous said...

I think I know Andre -- last name begins with M? He's a real sweet guy, eh?

I haven't gotten to the Nature Sanctuary yet, but I definitely want to make it there this year.

Overall, sounds like you had a great island hopping vacation! I hope your year continues as happily as it began.