Monday, May 12, 2008

Easy like Sunday Morning?

Every Sunday morning for as long as I can remember, the Barbados National Trust has led a hike around different areas of the island, as a way to educate people about the heritage of the island. The hike starts at 6:00 a.m., and when we were much younger my sister and I went every week with my Mum. Thanks to jetlag I was actually up to going yesterday, since I am waking up ridiculously early these days. The hike was held in St. Peter, one of the northern parishes, and started out at Farley Hill National Park.

The hikers are divided into four groups: Stop & Stare (i.e. slow pokes), Medium, Fast-Medium and Fast (a.k.a Grin & Bear it). My Mum and I, and our friend Lyndonna joined Stop & Stare. Of course. Although I have since renamed it Stop, Stare and Click because of course I had my camera along.

Heliconia 2



Caribbean Style

burnt

heading into the gully

You can see some more photos here

But said camera got us into a bit of trouble at the end of the hike! I eventually ended up falling to the back of the group with all my stops to attend to the click part of the tour. Another hiker then came to me to ask about my camera since she was planning to buy one soon. As we chatted she and my Mum discovered they were both teachers so started to chat about that. As they were "licking their mouths" as we say (gossiping), we came to the top of the track through the cane fields and there was not a soul to be seen! We just assumed that we should go straight ahead, but to cut a long story short, after tramping around the fields for over an hour with no human in sight, we gave up, and retraced our steps back to the last main road we passed on. We weren't worried or scared, it's practically impossible to get lost in those fields, and we could see roads and civilised life off in the distance. Mostly we were just dang tired and hot and thirsty!

Once on the road we "poped' a ride with a passing Defense Force landrover, and they kindly drove us back to the starting point. We arrived back a good two hours late! We had a good laugh (in fact we're still laughing about it) and went off to Lyndonna's for brunch.

Quite the Mother's Day gift!!

No comments: